In A Life Worth Being Remembered


        I haven't blogged in a while, but since it's been suggested to me by several people whom I've come to respect very highly, I figure why not? Gotta stretch the writing legs a bit first, so this'll probably be a bit of a ramble...but that's alright, time to hit the road again!

        I have a confession to make. So...to people who know me really well, this is going to sound really weird, but...I'm actually really awful at goal setting. Well, that's not necessarily true, what I'm really awful at is specific goal setting. Up 'till now, my goal setting process has more closely resembled a random road trip, i.e.:
"Hmm...what direction am I headed right now? Oh, ok, cool, what's along this road then? Oh that? Yeah that looks cool, Ok! I guess that's the goal now!"
        Seriously, for all I've seemingly accomplished in my 20 or so years in the tech industry, most of it wasn't really planned. I sorta just did a lot of work, people noticed, and then I didn't ever say no to good opportunities, and I gotta admit, it actually worked out pretty well! Got to work on some great projects, wrote some articles, worked on a book, met some great people, learned a TON of cool stuff, and got to see the technology of the future! But again, largely unplanned...which has left me in an interesting position. If we were to describe goal development and setting as a muscle, well, let's just say mine has gotten somewhat weak and lackluster. Time to start a new program, and I promise I'll drop this somewhat clumsy metaphor...

        Now, this gets even more interesting, because if I'm honest, I'm actually not that bad at said goal qualifying, it's more that I have a hard time convincing myself that my goals are legit once I've actually put them into a somewhat permanent form. Alright, so that's actually a totally different problem, but maybe just as easy to fix? I think the real issue is one of...wishy-washiness, for lack of a better term? Wishy-washiness brought about by...lackluster goal setting and development, so ok, it's actually not a completely different problem. Wow, glad we had this talk! Alright, so now that we've identified the problem...

        I bring all this up because I'm laying down a new set of goals, goals that I'm driving completely by myself, no more simply being pulled along for the ride and detouring for cool diversions along the way (jeez, me and the clumsy metaphors...), which is somewhat ironic and a departure, considering that this new path did sorta start off on a random whim inspired by podcasts, facebook ads, and the suggestion of a good friend. It's both exciting and tiny bit scary, well, because I can kinda do whatever I want. The high level idea has been circling my head for a while, and up to this point, I think I've shied away from specifics because of that aforementioned tiny bit scary, but as I wrap this up (because I have to go work on another blog post, which is part of these goals I keep mentioning), I'm actually excited. I'll be talking more about the specifics of these goals in future posts as I continue to develop and refine both the goals and the plan of action...

Comments